background

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Socks

I always pictured my mom like the sweet, little, old lady I met this summer-at a FAMILY camp in southern Indiana. It was her socks that first drew my attention- of all things. She had delicate, lace-like cotton socks she wore with her dress and leather loafer shoes, and a dainty sweater over her shoulders. Her hair was shoulder length, dusty gray and pulled to one side in a pretty barrette.


She fully engaged in the music, front row- but particularly, and visibly enjoyed the old hymns. She would close her eyes, letting tears flow at will, raising her hands in worship, in such an eternal light.


I think I always imagined Mom growing old in her seat at camp (or church or wherever), wearing delicate cotton socks with her loafer shoes and a dress (and probably panty hose too). Letting her hair finally gray. Smiling, through tears- no doubt, singing joyfully along with ever-familiar hymns. Growing old with Jesus. Letting her TRUE colors, even the gray ones, shine through.

I couldn't keep my eyes off of her- mostly her socks! I kept wishing my Mom and her goofy socks were still around to enjoy this blessed part of life- the gathering of Holy people in His presence- at Family Camp. A place she told me about over and over ( in another era and another place), but I never got to experience her THERE. I place I am certain she drew so near to Him that she felt like she was already in her eternal glory. As good as she thought it could get, but not so.


I think I'm still clinging to that mental image of MY Mom. Maybe that's how she looks today, in heaven: sitting by her savior, pouring her worship out at His feet, her true self shining through fully- even her delicate (or not), lacey, socks and graying hair, loafer shoes and a dress. Just HER: fully known, and fully accepted- even in her socks.




Whenever I think of so many old hymns, I can still hear her voice singing along with the piano as she played, sweetly to her savior, even when the music is a little too high, always longing for her eternal home.

"I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand"

"Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today."

"I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I’d rather be true to His holy name"

"Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today."

"He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead "

"Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today."



"When Christ shall come,
With shouts of acclamation,
And take me home,
What joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow
In humble adoration
And there proclaim,
"My God, how great Thou art!"


"Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!"

1 comment:

Wendy said...

What you couldn't see with her shoes on was that they probably had a hole in the toe or heal and she just dealt with it while she shopped for us.

Thanks for that image. I know that she is still weeping for joy - the Bible says He will wipe away every tear does that mean we will still cry but He will be there to comfort us? Either way sign me up.